Guidelines for the Audition Process
BYMT's Auditions require no experience or preparation and are open to absolutely anyone aged 11-21.
- Each audition is a 3-hours group creative workshop led by professional theatre practitioners. They will be looking to gauge how well you dance, sing, act and work as a team. We are searching for people with guts, determination, integrity, ambition, energy, authenticity, generosity and a willingness to give it everything! You don't need to have any prior experience whatsoever; we are looking for potential!
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes in advance. In the beginning of the audition you will meet the team, and they will talk you through what to expect. You will be asked to participate in a warm up, then your group will learn a song together, and you will sing the song you have just learned. You will also take part in a group dance and have the chance to show the team some improvised movement. We will also look at your acting skills through short improvised scenes in groups.
- Everyone has different levels of experience, and BYMT's auditions are designed to support that. The creative team will help you understand what is needed of you, but please make sure you commit fully to everything. Often, we’re looking as much at your attitude and approach as your skill and experience. So be willing to try new things and be brave.
- BYMT's Audition is very friendly and supportive environment for young people to explore their creative abilities. Don’t get too caught up in ‘getting it right’ – the panel are looking to see the effort you put in, the quality of your movement, how you respond to the music – lots of things aside from whether you get the steps right. Really listen and watch the creative leading the audition to understand the detail of what they’re teaching you and where they want you to focus – details of dynamics, or performance notes are important.
- All three disciplines, singing, dancing and acting, are taken equally into consideration when casting our shows, so give everything a really good go. If you’re feeling anxious, don’t hide at the back – the creative leading the session can’t see you and you can’t see them. Come forward, make sure you have space, and throw yourself into the session.
- And finally - come properly dressed for dance – loose movement clothes or sportswear (NOT JEANS), trainers or jazz shoes, hair tied up, no jewellery. Be ready to work.
We wish you all the best of luck and will be happy to welcome you in our new Summer Season 2021.
What happens after the audition? Everyone will be given a mark for acting, singing and dancing based on the practitioners notes, which are made during your audition. After your audition the creative team meet for a casting session to match the most suitable performers to the skills required for a range of different shows. Their feedback will then go back to the BYMT office team who will prepare offer packs and letters to go out to everyone by the end of March 2021. Please bear with us during this time and we will be in touch as soon as we can.
“Being the first time I’ve ever done this, I must say that I had a wonderful time. I was very nervous at the beginning but after getting to know everyone it felt like I have known them for ages.”Marco, 13