British Youth Music Theatre supporting emerging writers and composers, in memory of theatre director Vernon Mound
The New Music Theatre Award 2019 is aimed at supporting high-quality, emerging writers and composers; the award is part of a programme to identify the composing and writing talent of the future.
The goal of this award is to showcase young writers and composers, aged 30 and under, giving them a platform to create and develop through the collaboration opportunities offered by BYMT. The successful applicant will receive: a commission worth £6,000; mentoring from established writers and composers; dramaturgical support from a director; and the opportunity to stage their production in a professional regional UK venue with a cast of around 40 of the most talented young people from across Britain and further afield.
Applications will be assessed on music, concept, writing quality, lyric content and appropriateness by a panel of five who are working professional practitioners. The award is in memoriam of Vernon Mound, opera and musical theatre composer, and YMT founding Associate Director. The award will be held on a biennial basis, and is supported by friends of Vernon and associated trusts and foundations.
Information about the commission including the terms and conditions HERE
• The deadline for submissions has passed
• Long list for interview selected by Wednesday 12 December 2018
• Interviews 13-21 December
• Selection of four finalists will take place on Friday 21 December
• Presentations to the judges will take place at Mountview, London on Friday 25 January 2019
• The award will be announced on Friday 1 February 2019
• The performance company of young people will be selected by 1 March 2019
• Rehearsal and production Summer 2019