Deputy Stage Manager
As Deputy Stage Manager, you will work on one of our projects and alongside the creative and pastoral teams, you will run the rehearsal room creating various records for the show including the prompt copy and calling the public performances. You will report to the Stage Manager.
Dates and Hours
We have a number of shows taking place in 2021.Our usual rehearsal day would be from 9am until 9pm with two meal breaks and suitable tea breaks within. Courses usually run for 2-3 weeks with technical rehearsals and performances in the final week.
Working on one of our projects around the UK, you will be working with professional directors, choreographers, composers and stage managers. The cast will be made up of approximately 40 young people.
The engagement will last for two to three weeks and the show is created, often in its entirety, within that time. You will need to be adaptable, energetic, and enthusiastic to help lead the cast through this busy and demanding schedule.
The DSM will be working very closely with the young cast and you will need to diplomatic and sensitive to the pressures and intensity of the project. You will be good at working as part of a team as well as being selfmotivated and proactive.
You will need to be willing to get involved in the whole process, engaging with the young people and the show on a creative and personal level.
As a company working with young people BYMT takes our child protection responsibilities very seriously and requires all staff working on our projects to hold a DBS certificate less than 3 years old. If you do not currently hold a DBS certificate BYMT will undertake one on your behalf and your engaement on the trainee scheme will be conditional on this being successfully completed.
- You will need to create and maintain a clear and accurate prompt copy for the show, ensure all administration is carried out efficiently and complete records are created;
- You will ensure the rehearsal space is prepared and maintained in a suitable way to allow rehearsals to proceed efficiently and safely;
- You will provide daily rehearsal calls for the company and assist in the day-to-day planning and scheduling of all activities;
- You will create daily rehearsal notes and distribute these as instructed by the Stage Manager/Production Manager;
- You will inform the Stage Manager at the earliest possible opportunity of any potential problems and ensure any action requiring risk assessment is highlighted to all relevant staff; and
- You will assist the Stage Manager and Production Manager in producing risk assessments as required;
- You will be required to call the show and participate with both t the get in and get out;
- In consultation with the Stage Manager you will create and distribute a show reports after each performance.
There is no fee for this engagement; we do offer accommodation, all meals and a contribution of £85 per week towards your expenses. We will also pay for your travel at the beginning and end of the engagement.
How to Apply: we are still looking for two DSMs for this summer season 2021; please send a CV to email@example.com stating your availability during August 2021 and attaching a CV. Alternatively call the office direct on 020 8563 7725
“You are thrown into the deep end, but have a hugely supportive team around you who treat you as an equal. Everyone pulls together as a team to ensure the show goes up.”Pippa Lowen - Deputy Stage Manager